Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The 2010 NJ Ride Against AIDS - September 24 - 26, 2010


I have just registered for the 2010 NJ Ride Against AIDS bike ride which is a three-day bicycling event towards the end of September 2010 that benefits New Jersey AIDS charities.

The ride begins at High Point State Park in beautiful northwest New Jersey and concludes in the charming, Victorian town of Cape May at the southernmost point of the state. The length of the ride is approximately 250 miles. 100% of pledge donations raised by riders and crew go directly to the charities and each rider must raise a minimum of $1500.00 to ride.

The NJ Ride Against AIDS website is at:  http://blog.njrideagainstaids.org/

Promo Video:  http://www.njrideagainstaids.org/video.htm

I have been thinking for some time about how to incorporate some more exercise into my life - while I truly love my current job, it doesn't give me the same level of activity that running after bad guys in West Philly did in my years as a cop. 

In the past 10 years since I have hung up my badge and cuffs, I had gone through some intermittent back issues and managed to gain about 40 pounds or so - from 185 to 225 at my heaviest.  Having never had all that extra weight in my life; I was uncomfortable and unhappy in my own skin - so I decided at New Year's that it was time for all the extra weight to come off - and stay off.  I wasn't sure how I was going to do it and it certainly seemed impossible but when I set my mind to doing something, I rarely get sidetracked until I achieve my goal.



On February 28, 2010, I started Weight Watchers for Men via the website http://www.weightwatchers.com/.  I was about 205 pounds. I just used their point tracker application via the web and on my iPhone to monitor my food intake and I basically ate what I wanted as long as it was within my allotted points. 

The program is simple, I was given 33 daily points and an additional 35 weekly points to use based on my height, weight age and gender and I found that once I adjusted to the WW way of thinking and eating; I lost about 1.5 pounds a week on average.

Today is June 29, 2010 - pretty much 4 months to the day that I started the WW program and I am happily at 190 pounds.  I have lost 15 pounds in 4 months so, about 4 pounds a month.  I have 5 more pounds to go to get to my goal weight and so I think with some exercise worked into my life; the goal is within reach.



I have done my research on the bike I want (Trek FX 7.3 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fx/73fx/)  and plan to get it this Friday, and once that is done; I just need to get up to speed on the maintenance and care and then start my training for the bike ride.

I am psyched!!  (^_^)

P

1 comment:

  1. Biking is one of the many fun activities you can enjoy. But at the same time you have helped many people in your good deeds. Try car donation to other institution, it will be helpful to them. God Bless and more power.

    ReplyDelete